In Northwest Arkansas & thinking about replacing your A/C? Read on.
Tips for saving money
Replacing an A/C unit is a huge and oftentimes scary investment for most people. Like many investments though, you can save a lot of money on it if you do it right. The following are steps we'd recommend everybody take if considering replacing an aging or broken A/C unit.
1. Get all the utility rebates you can. Local utilities like SWEPCO and Black Hills offer thousands of dollars in rebates for buying energy efficient systems. We put together a huge list of them here.
2. Think hard on repair vs replacement. A lot of people get stuck in the predicament of having to choose between an expensive repair for an aging system vs just getting a new system. A couple things need to be considered:
- I. Age of your system. The average A/C unit in the United States lasts 18 years. If you're close to that, you may strongly consider replacement. If not, repairing your current unit may be the way to go. Keep in mind that if your system is "builder grade" (was installed with the house), it may only last 10-12 years.
- II. Type of freon in your system. If your system uses R-22 freon, you'll want to skip the repair and get it replaced. R-22 is partially banned as of 2019 and will be fully banned on January 1, 2020. Pricing for it will make you sick.
3. Get multiple quotes. Some of you are saying "duh" right now, but you'd be surprised how many people just get one quote for an A/C replacement. Always play it safe and get two or three quotes to make sure no one is trying to take you for a ride.
Need an A/C quote? Call Franklin at (479) 282-0003 to schedule.
To make sure that happens, we spend thousands of dollars a year running background checks, conducting drug screenings, and checking for clean driving records. When hiring technicians, we look for for friendly, safe, and competent people.
It's what we would do for our own loved ones, why should it be any different for yours?